Visit Great Barrier Reef – Airlie Beach
- Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsundays Islands. On the mainland, visit Airlie Beach, Conway National Park and Dryander National Park.
- Charter a boat to cruise through the 74 islands of the Whitsundays. Visit Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Islands National Park by charter excursion or stay at one of the luxury resorts on the smaller private islands. Snorkeling and diving are excellent in this area.
- Dive at the Llewellyn shipwreck.
- Stop at Eungella National Park for a chance to see a platypus.
Whitsunday Islands National Park, Airlie, © Can Stock Photo / jovannig
Tours from Airlie
Whitehaven Beach, Whitsundays, © Can Stock Photo / jovannig
Resorts in the Whitsunday Islands – Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Daydream Island Resort and Spa, Long Island Resort, Hook Island, Paradise Bay Eco Escape, Lindeman Island, Brampton Island and South Molle Island.
Visit Great Barrier Reef – Townswille
- Billabong Sanctuary
- Magnetic Island National Park
- SS Yongala shipwreck
Great Barrier Reef Weather
Cairns Weather Chart
The weather along the Great Barrier Reef varies significantly due to its length. The northern portion is a tropical climate with heavy rainfall and high humidity during the summer months of December to April. At the southern end, rainfall also is more frequent during the Australian summer, but all levels that can be under half that of the north. Humidity in the south is lower and temperatures can be a couple of degrees cooler. September to November are excellent months to visit Cairns and Port Douglas, however you will find the cruise ship industry has selected February and March for their high season.
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, © Can Stock Photo / StrangerView
Get to the Great Barrier Reef
Cairns is two hours by air from Brisbane and three hours from Sydney. Cruise ships typically visit Port Douglas, Cairns or Airlie Beach.