Visit Great Barrier Reef
Visit Great Barrier Reef – Cairns
When you Visit Great Barrier Reef – Cairns, you are in the heart of the reef’s tourist industry. Green Island, Fitzroy Island, Michaelmas Cay, Arlington Reef and Marine World Platform are the major destinations for snorkelers and divers every day. Try Diving Cairns for snorkel and diving tours. Take a helicopter ride or airplane flight over the islands and the reefs too. It’s not necessary to visit an island or platform to experience the Great Barrier Reef, though. Excursions can transport you directly over snorkeling and diving areas from most cities.
Cairns – Other Things to Do
- Cairns Zoom and Wildlife Dome
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
- Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
- Kuranda Scenic Railway
- Hartley’s crocodile Adventures
- Cairns Museum
- Center of Contemporary Arts in Cairns
- Rainforestation Nature Park in Kuranda
- Atherton Tablelands
Tours from Cairns
Visit Great Barrier Reef – Port Douglas
- Four Mile Beach and Flagstaff Hill
- Agincourt Reef
- Cruise the Low Isles
- Daintree National Park including Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation – experience the tropical rainforest.
- Cooktown to the north and offshore is Lizard Island – a luxury resort with great diving.
Tours from Port Douglas
Port Douglas Hotels
Visit Great Barrier Reef – Airlie Beach
- Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsundays Islands. On the mainland, visit Airlie Beach, Conway National Park and Dryander National Park.
- Charter a boat to cruise through the 74 islands of the Whitsundays. Visit Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Islands National Park by charter excursion or stay at one of the luxury resorts on the smaller private islands. Snorkeling and diving are excellent in this area.
- Dive at the Llewellyn shipwreck.
- Stop at Eungella National Park for a chance to see a platypus.
Tours from Airlie
Resorts in the Whitsunday Islands – Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Daydream Island Resort and Spa, Long Island Resort, Hook Island, Paradise Bay Eco Escape, Lindeman Island, Brampton Island and South Molle Island.
Visit Great Barrier Reef – Townswille
Great Barrier Reef Weather
The weather along the Great Barrier Reef varies significantly due to its length. The northern portion is a tropical climate with heavy rainfall and high humidity during the summer months of December to April. At the southern end, rainfall also is more frequent during the Australian summer, but all levels that can be under half that of the north. Humidity in the south is lower and temperatures can be a couple of degrees cooler. September to November are excellent months to visit Cairns and Port Douglas, however you will find the cruise ship industry has selected February and March for their high season.
Get to the Great Barrier Reef
Cairns is two hours by air from Brisbane and three hours from Sydney. Cruise ships typically visit Port Douglas, Cairns or Airlie Beach.
Visit Great Barrier Reef – See More Sights
- Heron Island – luxury resort and excellent diving near Rockhampton.
- Mission Beach near Innisfail.
Visit Great Barrier Reef – Background
The Great Barrier Reef is located in the Coral Sea off the shores of Queensland, Australia. It consists of hundreds of island and thousands of coral reefs with more than a thousand different species of fish. The reef extends for more than 2,000 km (1,200 mi). A large portion of the reef is now protected by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and the reef has been designated a World Heritage Site.