One Foot Island Cruise, Can Stock Photo / inikep
Visit Aitutaki – One Foot Island
Tapuaetai (One Foot Island) ranks as the number one destination for those who visit Aitutaki. Take the Te Vaka Lagoon Cruise to visit Akaiami, Moturakau and One Foot Island. The cruise departs from Ootu Beach, near the airport. It includes snorkeling and lunch on One Foot Island. Book your tour at any hotel on the island. Air Rarotonga offers day trips from Rarotonga that include the Vaka Lagoon Cruise and a short island tour.
One Foot Island Aerial, Tekopua, © Can Stock Photo / lucidwaters
Bishop’s Cruises also offers lagoon tours, including snorkeling and lunch on Tapuaetai (One Foot Island).
Punarei Cultural Village is a re-constructed traditional village as it would have appeared before the arrival of the missionaries.
Hike 30 minutes to Maungapu, which is the highest point on Aitutaki. Enjoy views over the lagoon and the stands of native palm trees.
Tapuaetai, One Foot Island, © Can Stock Photo / lucidwaters
Visit Aitutaki – Hotel Recommendations
- Pacific Resort Aitutaki – luxuriy 5 star accommodations with high ratings from its guests. It’s also one of the most expensive options on Aitutaki. If you can’t afford to stay there, try visiting for meals instead.
- Tamanu Beach – 3.5 star quality with excellent customer reviews. Free airport shuttle included.
- Paparei Beachfront Bungalows – 3 star accomodation on the beachfront at an excellent price and with excellent customer reviews. Free airport shuttle included.
- Vaiorea Beach House – 3 star accomodation on the beachfront at an affordable price and with excellent customer reviews. Free airport shuttle included.
- Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa – Most units are beachfront, but there are also has a few overwater bungalows. The resort is very close to the airport on a private island. The location is gorgeous.