Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego
Visit Ushuaia – Other Sights
- Maritime Museum of Ushuaia – complex includes the Presidio, the Old Prison Museum, the Antarctic Museum and the Art Gallery too.
- Museum of the End of the World
- Yamana (Yaghan) Museum – dedicated to the native inhabitants of the region and located at 56 Rivadavia Street.
- La Aventura del Beagle at Centro Beagle – enjoy a performance on a replica of the HMS Beagle.
- In winter (July), head to Cerro Castor for international quality skiing just a half hour from Ushuaia.
Martillo Island Magellanic Penguin Colony
Get To Ushuaia
Visitors get to Ushuaia by Malvinas Argentinas International Airport, which is a 10 minute cab ride from downtown. Ushuaia is a small town without a city transit system. A local bus line provides regular service throughout the day to Tierra del Fuego National Park. Locally booked tours will also include transportation from downtown. A major bus line provides regular service to Punta Arenas, but it’s a 10 hour bus ride.
Ushuaia Hotel Recommendation
The cold ocean waters result in temperatures that seldom exceed 10 C (50 F) in the summer months (January), so expect to be cold. During the winter months temperatures hover just above freezing. The name Tierra del Fuego (Land of Fire) was coined by early explorers. They saw a coast line ringed with fire created by native inhabitants who were cooking and trying to keep warm. Be prepared for cool, cloudy, windy weather no matter when you visit.