Naples & Vesuvius, © Can Stock / TaniaLerro
Visit Naples – Port of Moto Beverello
The best place to start a tour when you visit Naples is at the Port of Moto Beverello, which is where the ferries and the cruise ships dock. Across the street from the ferries is the New Castle Museum and beside it is the New Town Hall. From there it’s a couple blocks to Galleria Umberto I, Teatro Augusteo-Napoli and the Teatro di San Carlo. Teatro di San Carlo is the oldest opera house in Italy. Next to the opera is the Royal Palace of Naples on the square called Piazza del Plebiscito. At the other side of the plaza is the Basilica Reale San Francesco di Paola. For an organized tour, try the Naples City Walking Tour.
Procida Island, © Can Stock / ronnybas
Visit Naples – Piazza del Gesu
Another nice area to walk around is the Piazza del Gesu, about 10 minutes north of the Piazza del Plebiscito. Here you will find the Church of Jesus, the Monastery of St Chiara and the nearby by Piazza Dante. These stops are included in the Naples City Walking Tour.
San Francesco di Paola, © Can Stock / davidionut
Visit Naples – See More Sights
- It’s about a 15 minute walk northeast from the Piazza del Gesu to the Cathedral of Naples. The Bascilica Santa Restituta is located directly beside it.
- Egg Castle (Castel dell’Ovo) – this waterfront castle is south of the historic area. A magic egg in the foundation makes the walls stronger, according to legend.
- Try the Small Group Naples City Sightseeing Tour to see more sights, plus the terrace at Posillipo.
- Naples City Hop-on Hop-off Tour – Tours follow several routes and have more than 30 stops.
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli
- Catacombe di San Gennaro – visit the catacombs under Naples.
Galleria Umberto I, © Can Stock / scarlett070
Savor the Tastes of Naples
When you visit Naples, savor the tastes of pizza and Neapolitan ice cream in the city where these popular foods were invented.
Monastery Santa Chiara, © Can Stock / PerseoMedusa
Visit Naples – Hotels
UNA Hotel Napoli – on the square across from the main train station, Napoli Centrale
Hotel Art Resort Galleria Umberto – in the historic district at the Port of Moto Beverello