Visit Miami – South Beach
SoBe is short for South Beach. This is the premier beach location for those who visit Miami. South Beach is also the place to be for partying and shopping. The southern portion of Miami Beach is in South Beach. Visit Ocean Drive, known as “the Road”. You will find the Art Deco District with distinctive architecture and many Mediterranean style homes.
Visit Miami – Everglades
The Everglades is a short drive west of the city when you visit Miami. Visit popular tourists stops, such as Everglades Safari Park or Gator Park Airboat Tour, where you can ride an airboat and see alligators in the wild.
Visit Miami – Other Sights
- Little Havana – the Cuban district of Miami.
- Biscayne Bay – cruise past Millionaires Row on Island Queen Cruises or visit Vizcaya Museum & Gardens on Biscayne Bay too.
- Take a Hop on Hop Off tour of the city.
- Tour the city in an amphibious vehicle from Duck Tours, South Beach.
- Bayside Marketplace – open air market.
Visit Miami – More Sights
Things to See near Miami
- Travel north a half hour along the coast to Fort Lauderdale on the Tri Rail.
- Take a day trip south to Key West.
- Travel north 3 hours to Orlando in central Florida to visit Epcot Center, Sea World, Universal Studios and Disney. World
- Travel north 3 hours along the coast to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex at Cape Canaveral.
The Miami weather in winter is perfect for tourists. Expect winter weather highs of around 80 F (25 C), lows of 63 F (17 C) and very low rainfall. December through April have pleasant temperatures, but the height of the tourist season is March and April.
Miami weather in summer is slightly warmer and more humid, with regular thundershowers. Average highs in July and August are 91 F (33 C) and lows average 77 F (25 C).
Get to Miami
Once you get to Miami International Airport, it’s about a 20 minute cab ride to the cruise terminal. Cruise ship passengers will likely find the cab ride costs less than pre-paid transportation with the cruise line. The Fort Lauderdale airport is just over a half hour away from Miami, so this provides an additional option to get to Miami. Travel between Fort Lauderdale and Miami airports is easy and inexpensive on the Tri Rail.
There is a Hop-on-Hop Off tour of Miami that provides access to major attractions from a large assortment of hotels.
Visit Miami – Hotels
Visit Miami – Background
Miami is at the southern tip of the Florida peninsula. More than 2 million people live in the Miami area. The city of Miami is well known for its sports teams, its beaches and for being a popular retirement location due to its weather. Miami is a significant cruise ship port and is the starting point for a large number of Caribbean cruises.