Visit Orlando – Disney World Resort
Disney World Resort – includes Downtown Disney, Magic Kingdom with Wishes Fireworks, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Boardwalk, waterparks at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, Cirque du Soleil – La Nouba and Disney Golf Courses.
Visit Orlando – Universal Studios
Universal Studios Orlando – includes Universal’s Islands of Adventure, with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and Universal Studios Florida. Buy tickets and transportation from your Disney World hotel through a number of options like Dreams Unlimited Travel.
Visit Orlando – Other Things to Do
- SeaWorld Orlando
- Pirates Cove Adventure Golf
- Discovery Cove
- Gatorland – real alligators.
- Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe
- Orlando Science Center
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not
Visit Orlando – Hotels
Disney World Resort – Disney’s official accommodation list goes on and on.
Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista – on the Disney World Resort grounds beside Downtown Disney. The resort fee includes transportation to all Disney theme parks and extended theme park hours privileges.
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando – Lake Buena Vista
Things to see and do near Orlando
- Cape Canaveral – one hour east, on the coast is the Kennedy Space Center. Tour the visitor center and historic launch sites or time your visit to see a real rocket launch.
- Legoland – 45 minutes south of Disney World.
- Crystal River Manatee Snorkel – Take a manatee snorkeling day trip & airboat ride to swim with wild manatees. Or get to Crystal River in 2 hours on your own. Book your snorkel with Captain Mike’s, Manatees in Paradise, Manatee Fun or Bird’s Underwater Dive Center. Visit the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park in Homosassa too.
The Orlando weather is a major reason for the success of theme parks around Orlando. Orlando weather is influenced by the Gulf Stream. The weather is hot and humid in the summer with regular, almost daily thunderstorms. In the summer months the average highs are 90 F (32 C) and lows average 74 F (24 C). Winter weather is cooler and drier. Average highs in winter are just over 70 F (22 C) and lows average 50 F (10 C). Early spring and late fall are likely the best times to visit Orland, but this is a year round tourist destination.
Get to Orlando
The best way to get to Orlando is by Orlando International Airport. Disney World is about 20 minutes by cab from the airport. Renting a car is a good option for Orlando because of all the different theme parks you might like to visit. You can also use a shuttle service like Mears Transportation or Orlando Shuttle Service.
Visit Orlando – Background
When people think of the city of Orlando, they think of Disney World, even though Disney World is about 20 miles southwest of the city in Lake Buena Vista. Walt Disney began purchasing land here as early as 1963. The Disney World Resort opened in 1971 with the Magic Kingdom and now covers more real estate area than the city of Boston. Universal Studios and Sea World have followed suit and joined in the tourist bonanza. Over 50 million people visit each year and the Orlando airport is among the busiest in the United States.