Twelve Apostles, © Can Stock Photo / goglik83
Visit Melbourne – Penguin Island
Phillip Island Nature Parks (Penguin Island) – About 2 hours from Melbourne and a popular tourist destination. Watch the penguins return to their nests from the sea each evening. They parade directly past the grandstand. Also see Koala Conservation Centre, Churchill Island and the Nobbies Centre. This is an excellent family destination dedicated to the preservation of Australian native species. Penguin numbers are highest in December. March is most likely the best month for good weather.
Visit Melbourne – St Kilda
- St Kilda Pier and Esplanade – beaches and restaurants.
- Luna Park – amusement park.
- St Kilda Botanical Gardens
- Jewish Museum of Australia
- Astor Theatre
Puffing Billy, © Can Stock Photo / CJP
Visit Melbourne – Urban Melbourne
- Melbourne Zoo
- the Melbourne Grand Prix in March or drive a lap around Albert Park Lake the rest of the year.
- Flemington and Caulfield Racecourses. Australian’s love to dress up for the most important races. The ladies’ hats are often more entertaining than the races.
Bells Beach, Great Ocean Road, © Can Stock Photo / f11b1
Visit Nearby Melbourne
- the Dandenong Ranges National Park – an hour from the city. Ride the Puffing Billy narrow gauge steam train. Visit Sky High Mt. Dandenong and catch views back to Melbourne too. See Olinda Falls and walk in Sherbrooke Forest. Visit the Tesselaar Tulip Farm and Festival and see Yarra Valley wineries.
- Werribee Open Range Zoo – thirty minutes from the city centre. Take a realistic safari to the African savannah.
- Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne, including the Australian Garden. About 45 minutes from the City Centre.
- Soverign Hill – a living museum 90 minutes from Melbourne.
- the Great Ocean Road to Bells Beach, Lorne and the Twelve Apostles, which are 3 hours from Melbourne. Arrange a tour with AAT Kings or Melbourne Tours.
- Ski at Mt Buller in winter. The alpine village is located about 3.5 hours from Melbourne.
Melbourne Day Trips
- Phillip Island Penguin Tour
- Great Ocean Road – Twelve Apostles
- Yarra Valley Wine Tour
Shrine of Remembrance, © Can Stock Photo / imagex
Melbourne is located in the Southern Hemisphere, so its seasons are reversed as compared to Europe or North America. Temperatures in the winter months, from May to September, average highs of about 15 C (60 F) and lows of 7 C (45 F). The summer months around December average 25 C (77 F) for highs and 13 C (55 F) for lows. Summer months can experience periods of very hot weather and high humidity. Rainfall is spread fairly evenly throughout the year. December is the best month for penguin viewing at nearby Phillip Island.
Visit Melbourne – Transportation
The airport is 25 minutes northwest of the city center and is accessed by taxi or Skybus. Skybus takes passengers to Melbourne City, Southbank, Docklands, St Kilda and Frankston. The PTV operates trains, trams and buses in the city.