Mosque at Taj Mahal, © Can Stock / Claudine
Visit Agra – More Tombs
- Itimad-Ud-Daulah or the Baby Taj – tomb of Mizra Ghiyas Beg, built in the early 1600s. Many design elements of the Baby Taj show up in the Taj Mahal.
- Soami Bagh Temple – the tomb of Sri Shiv Dayal Singh Seth, who founded the Radhasoami faith.
- Chini-Ka-Rauza – tomb of Afzal Khan from the early 1600s. Nearby is the Ram Bagh Gardens, built by the first Mughal Emperor, Babar.
Baby Taj, © Can Stock / Claudine
Things to See and Do near Agra
- Sikandra – tomb of Akbar the Great, located 15 minutes from Agra.
- Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary – a famous bird sanctuary an hour from Agra.
- National Chambal Sanctuary – protecting the Indian gharial crocodile and the Ganges River Dolphin. The National Chambal Sanctuary is a little over an hour from Agra.
Sikandra, © Can Stock / micropix
Get to Agra
Agra is not easily accessible, because it’s in the north central part of India. Agra doesn’t have a major airport, so most people fly to Delhi to get to Agra. From Delhi, most tourists take an organized bus tour or the train. The train ride from Delhi takes more than 2 hours to get to Agra. Some tourists fly in to the regional airport in Agra too.
Gallery of Pillars, Agra Fort, © Can Stock / al_la
Tours often include the Golden Triangle of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur in their visit. At this northerly latitude, consider adding Kathmandu in Nepal to your travel plans.
Be prepared for a bit of culture shock when you get to Agra. The beauty of its World Heritage Sites contrasts sharply with the pollution, smog and garbage littering the city of Agra.
Agra Fort Gate
The Agra weather is a major consideration for those who visit Agra. The months of May and June are extremely hot with high temperatures averaging more than 40 C (105 F). July through September add heavy rainfall, which drops the temperatures only a few degrees.
Agra Fort, © Can Stock / al_la
The best time of year to visit for good weather is November to March when average highs are comfortable and rainfall is low.