Bogotá, Colombia, © Can Stock Photo / jkraft5
Visit Bogotá – La Candelaria
La Candelaria is the old town historical area when you visit Bogotá. It includes Plaza de Bolivar, the National Capitol, Teatro Colon, the sculptures and paintings of the Botero Museum, the Candelaria Church and the Cathedral of Bogotá.
Bogotá Cathedral, © Can Stock Photo / Toniflap
Within walking distance a few blocks south, you can see the Presidential Palace and the candy-cane style architecture of the Church of Carmen. Also within walking distance, but a few blocks to the north, you can visit the Palace & Church of San Francisco and the Gold Museum. The Gold Museum has one of the best collections of pre-Hispanic artifacts in the world.
La Candelaria, Old Town
Visit Bogotá – See the Sights
- Monserrate Sanctuary – near La Candelaria, take a cable car or funicular for great views over the city. Visit the sanctuary and restaurants in the small community at the top. Close to the cable car start is La Quinta de Bolivar – a museum in the former residence of Simon Bolivar.
- Independence Park – includes the planetarium and the Santa Maria Bull Ring.
- National Museum of Colombia and the Maloka science museum.
- Colpatria and Mirador de la Calera – observation points.
- Simon Bolivar Metropolitan Park – including the Botanical Gardens of Bogotá.
Plaza de Bolivar
Visit Bogotá – Hotel Recommendations
There are many reasonably priced accommodation options in the La Candelaria Old Town.