Budapest, Viking River Cruises
Viking River Cruises – Introduction
Viking River Cruises is a privately owned company. They started in 1997 with cruises in Russia. In 2000 they purchased Europe’s KD River Cruises. Then in 2012 they began an extensive ship building program, with the introduction of their Longships. From 2012 – 2016 they built 45 European river cruise ships. They converted their entire European fleet to longships during this period and expanded to dominate 75% of the European cruise market. Viking has become so popular that despite their large volume of ships, they regularly sell out cruises a year in advance.
European Longship, Viking River Cruises, Koblenz
Viking River Cruises – European Longships
Viking’s European Longships now cover their entire fleet on the Rhine, Danube, Main, Moselle and Rhône Rivers. The Longship details are:
- Room for 189 passengers. Due to constraints of lock sizes, European river cruise ships can’t get any bigger in size.
- Two Explorer Suites with 445 sq ft and separate livingr room, bedroom and wraparound veranda with 270 degree views. These are the largest suites in river cruising.
- 7 two – room Veranda Suites.
- 39 Veranda Staterooms that are 205 sq ft. These have been created by moving the hallway off center. The units on the non-veranda side are 135 sq ft and have French balconies.
- All-weather indoor/outdoor Aquavit Terrace with retractable floor-to-ceiling windows and views to both sides of the river.
- Heated bathroom floors and mirrors.
- Solar panels and low vibration hybrid engines.
The Viking Hlin in Basel, Switzerland
Viking River Cruises – Douro and Elbe Rivers
Viking operates 3 ships on the Douro in Portugal and 4 ships on the Elbe in Germany. These are not Longships due to the smaller size of these rivers, but Viking has made the newer ships here with a similar design.
Viking River Cruises – Other Continents
Unlike most river cruise companies, Viking maintains its own ships on other continents instead of affiliating with other companies. The only exception is their cruises in Egypt. Viking operates several ships in Russia. Their ships in Asia operate in China and Vietnam / Cambodia. Viking also operates ships in the Ukraine and in Egypt.
Viking River Cruises – Guest Profile
- Age of 50+ with a median age of 61.
- Close to retirement.
- Usually dual income travelers.
- Often own the book “1,000 Places To See Before You Die”.
- Women traveling in groups without their partners.
- Experienced ocean cruises looking more intimate and educational experiences.