Avalon Waterways River Cruises – Intro
A Swiss company created Avalon Waterways River Cruises in 2004. The cruise line is known for their standard of floor-to-ceiling windows and the option of French balconies. They have the same commitment to views in their open-air bistros and sky decks. Most suites have wall to wall panoramic windows with open-air balconies. Most beds face the window.
Ships in the Avalon fleet average 150 passengers. Avalon operates vessels in Europe and Asia. They coordinate cruises with other companies in Egypt, China, the Amazon and the Galápagos. Avalon is able to sail directly from Siem Reap, Cambodia to Saigon, Vietnam due to the small size of its ship. Other cruise lines may use buses for portions of the journey.
Avalon Waterways River Cruises – Europe
In Europe Avalon operates on the Danube, Rhine, Main, Moselle, Rhône, Saône and Seine Rivers. rom newest to oldest, the ships operating in Europe are:
|Imagery II||Passion||Tranquility II|
|Tapestry II||Poetry II||Illumination|
Avalon Waterways River Cruises – Asia & Africa
The Avalon Siem Reap operates on the Mekong River between Siem Reap, Cambodia and Saigon, Vietnam. The Avalon Myanmar travels the Irrawaddy River in Myanmar. Century Legend, is an independently owned ship that receives most of its passengers from Avalon and Uniworld. The Century Legend tours the Yangtze in China. The Sonesta St George is another independently owned ship that Avalon refers passengers to for river cruising on the Nile River in Egypt.
Avalon Waterways River Cruises – South America
Avalon Waterways – Theme Cruises
Theme Cruises receive special attention at Avalon Waterways. Cruises might concentrate on cooking, wine, music, history, Jewish heritage or Christmas.
Avalon Waterways – Guest Profile
- Educated 50+ people who like to travel.
- Affluent 60-year olds with dual income.
- Previous travel experience on ocean cruisers and motorcoaches.
- Usually married with a household income over $100,000, and only 7 percent still have children at home.
- 79% have traveled on 4 or more international trips.
- 70% have been on at least 2 ocean cruises.
- 27% have taken 2 or 3 river cruise vacations.
Avalon Waterways River Cruises – Staterooms
- Staterooms on European cruises are a minimum of 172 sq ft. Most staterooms have floor to ceiling windows, except for the lowest deck, which has half height windows.
- Panorama Suites are 200 sq ft.
- Royal Suites are 300 sq ft.
Avalon Waterways River Cruises – Included Amenities
- All meals are included. Meals are available in the main dining room or at the bistro with alfresco seating.
- Complimentary wine, beer or soft drinks are included with lunch and dinner.
- Self-serve beverage station with complimentary tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees.
- Complimentary bottled water in staterooms.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access.
- Excursions are provided at each port and do not need to be pre-booked. Bike rentals are available at some ports.
- Fitness Center
- Enrichment lectures, a piano player and local entertainers brought onboard at various ports of call.
- Hair dryer, mini fridge, safes.
- Sky Deck whirlpool (all European ships).
Avalon Waterways – Not Included
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink packages for service between meals.
- Tips to your tour or cruise director, local guide, driver and/or ship’s crew.
- Laundry (available for a fee).
- Hair salon (manicures available).
- Electrical adapters for the Amazon Discover.
Avalon Waterways – Policies
Smoking – Passengers can only smoke on the vessel’s outside decks where ashtrays are available.
Tipping & Gratuities – Gratuities are not included in the cruise fees. Avalon has suggested amounts for tips and gratuities.
Avalon Standard Cancellation Fees –
- 90-60 days prior to commencement of services: 35% of total price plus Travel Protection payments.
- 59-30 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price plus Travel Protection payments.
- 29-1 days prior to commencement of services: 80% of total price plus Travel Protection payments.
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price plus Travel Protection payments.